Hands-on workshop on Cryptocurrencies
Sat, 28.10.2017 11 am, Dauer: 7h, ZKM_Atrium 8+9
Cost: frei, der Workshop ist ausgebucht, Meeting point: ZKM_Infotheke
Within the scope of the »Open Codes. Living in digital Worlds« exhibition, the ZKM is holding a »Cryptolab« workshop on October 28, 2017. Since 2009, the distribution of cryptographic currencies such as Bitcoins has risen steadily. The concept of digital currencies offers new opportunities independent of banks and national borders as an alternative to the traditional payment systems.
But how do such currencies work and how does one use them? In the »Cryptolab« which forms part of the »Open Codes« exhibition, there is a series of workshops whose focus is on understanding and trying out the underlying technology using practical examples. Anyone who wants to take part actively should bring their own laptop. The following areas are dealt with in three blocks spread across the day:
Block 1 (11.15 am - 1.00 pm):
- Theoretical basics of the bitcoin algorithm and the blockchain
- What tools do I need to use bitcoin myself?
- Introduction to safe handling and the risks that arise
Block 2 (2.00 pm - 3.30 pm):
- Help in setting up your own hardware
- Preservation: hardware wallet, paper wallet
- Hello neighbour, I am sending you money
- Mobile wallets, pay on the go
Block 3 (4.00 pm - 5.30 pm):
Mining & Trading:
- How does a bitcoin come into being?
- How does mining work?
- Where can I buy bitcoins?
For their participation, each workshop participant is paid a small (symbolic) bitcoin amount that they can take home with them.
- Organization / Institution
- ZKM | Karlsruhe
- Exhibitions / Events (1)