The ZKM | Institute for Music and Acoustics (IMA) is especially committed to the promotion and presentation of electronic music and, generally, to the further technological development of electronic and digital musical components. To this end, and as part of its Guest Composer Program, each year the ZKM | IMA awards several work scholarships to composers, musicians, sound artists and music program.
The Institute offers a range of Residency programs, particularly working with the Paris Institut de Recherche et Coordination Acoustique / Musique (IRCAM). As part of the EU research project VERTIGO, the Institute is realizing various research stays over the next three years.
Artists are invited to apply until May 22, 2017 via the following link: http://vertigo.starts.eu/call-for-artistic-residencies/
ZKM | Institute for Music and Acoustics
Tel: +49 (0) 721/8100-1600
The scholarships are awarded in the following fields
- Development/composition of new electronic works,
- Electro-acoustic /acousmatic spatial music; works, which make aesthetic use of and/or further develop the Sound Dome with 43 loudspeakers developed at the ZKM, and the Software Zirkonium
- live-electronic concepts; development of innovative interfaces to acoustic and electronic instruments and, as the case may be, in connection with the Sound Dome or the software Zirkonium,
- audiovisual or medial music projects with dance, film/video, music theater, Internet projects or installations
- Technologies (hard and software)
Conditions of the Working Scholarship
As a rule, the scholarships take place over a one to two month period – in exceptional cases, for longer – and serve for working on-site at the ZKM in Karlsruhe. A scholarship is endowed with 1500 € per month (incl. travel and accommodation expenses). A technically well-equipped studio will be made available. Technical support is carried out by way of software developers and sound technicians in accordance with the capacities (especially for the software developed at the ZKM). The newly developed works or technological results may be presented to the public once a month at the IMA | lab.
- Short description of the artistic project/work.
- Context (presentation at the ZKM, development for CD production, festivals etc., as the case may be cooperation partners, third-part funding)
- Planned schedule
- Required technology; technology to be developed
- Team (single composer, programmer, etc.)