With »Sonic Spaces 2023«, the ZKM | Hertz-Lab awards 5 scholarships for composers having a focus area in the field of electronic music and sound art as part of its artist-in-residence program.
The ZKM | Hertz-Labor offers international artists the opportunity to apply in three different categories and submit project proposals to realize new works. The selectable categories include:
- Live Coding with a clear focus on sound and music with or without visuals.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) with acoustic or audiovisual works that in some way address AI or use AI in their creation, for example in the production, processing or organization of the sounds..
- Acousmatic Music and Spatial Sound for multichannel acoustic or audiovisual fixed media works using spatial sound as a design tool that are designed to be performed in the ZKM_Klangdom. For spatialization, the free software »Zirkonium« developed at ZKM can be used, but does not have to be.
The duration of the residency for realizing the production at ZKM | Karlsruhe should be 4 weeks. Possible dates for the residencies are between March and the end of May 2023 and will be arranged individually. The duration of the work to be realized should be 10 to 20 minutes. The works produced during the residency are expected to be premiered in a concert presumably on May 26 or 27 at the ZKM_Cube with the composers being on-site.
The residencies take place in the studios of the ZKM, each of which has a multichannel monitoring system (horizontal loudspeaker circle). In addition, there is access to our minidome with its dome-shaped loudspeaker arrangement. The concert hall ZKM_Cube also has a dome-shaped loudspeaker arrangement, the ZKM_Sound Dome. The guest artists will receive a detailed introduction to the ZKM infrastructure and, if needed, to the »Zirkonium« software. On top of that, we provide temporary access to a powerful AI computer. The residents should be able to realize their projects independently.
The amount of the scholarships is 1.500 € for the whole residency time. All costs for the realization of the musical work will be paid by the scholarship holders from this amount. For the one-time travel to Karlsruhe and back, travel expenses can be reimbursed up to a maximum amount of 600 €, taking into account the applicable travel expenses law.
Conditions of participation
The following is required for submission:
- short summary of the project idea to be realized (max. 1.500 characters including spaces).
- project description with indication of the corresponding submission category Live Coding, Artificial Intelligence (AI) or Acousmatic Music/Spatial Sound (max. 5,000 characters including spaces)
- short list of the technical means required for the production
- formulated biography with details on the artistic career (max. 1,000 characters including spaces) and contact details
- portrait photo (min. 300 dpi) with photo credits (the photo must be freely usable for internal and external press work.)
- a maximum of 3 representative musical examples of the artistic work to date
Complete applications may be submitted by email to email@example.com up to and including January 29, 2023, exclusively with a customized email subject using the template »Sonic Spaces 2023, submission category, last name« in a PDF file up to 5 MB in size. Please upload accompanying audio, image and video material online to a file hosting service of your choice and include the non-expiring download link in the PDF with your application materials.