On Friday, September 8, 2017, two new exhibitions will open at ZKM: »The Art of Immersion« and »Datumsoria: The Return of the Real«.
An essential aspect of new media in all its forms is its immersive nature. This was heralded in the history of panoramic painting, of the cinerama and of installation art, and it is now reaching new levels of transformational experience in the immersive digital visualization systems of virtual reality and augmented reality.
Many renowned media artists from around the world have been at the forefront of this development, and this unique exhibition will offer a cross section of some of the most successful and engrossing examples of 'the art of immersive experiences'. The exhibition features a heterogeneous selection of seminal works developed by Jean Michel Bruyère, Neil Brown, Dennis Del Favero, Kurt Hentschläger, Sarah Kenderdine, Ulf Langheinrich, Matthew McGinity and Jeffrey Shaw for panoramic projection that are milestones in the conceptual and aesthetic formulation of contemporary immersive art. Topics that range from abstraction to narrative and from the archival to the social are experimentally explored by these artists to bring about intense levels of audience engagement and proprioception.
Speakers at the opening:
- Peter Weibel, CEO ZKM | Karlsruhe
- Frank Mentrup,Mayor of the City of Karlsruhe
- CHEN Ping, Counsellor for Cultural Affairs, Chinese Embassy in Germany
- ZHANG Ga, Curator of the exhibition »Datumsoria«
- Dennis Del Favero, Curator of the exhibition »The Art of Immersion«
- Richard Castelli, Curator of the exhibition »The Art of Immersion«
- Organization / Institution
- ZKM | Center for Art and Media