Every year in August, the over 170 meters long façade of the Karlsruhe baroque Palace becomes a gigantic stage for media art and the forecourt becomes an urban happening space. The SCHLOSSLICHTSPIELE Karlsruhe Light Festival is curated by the artistic and scientific director of the ZKM, Peter Weibel.
The BBBank Projection Mapping Award again invites international artists to participate with their ideas in 2023. The Grand Prize is 10,000 euros plus a grant to produce the artwork for the main program of the Schlosslichtspiele Light Festival in 2023. The prizes for the runners-up is 5,000 euros and 2,000 euros, respectively. All winners will be honored at an awards ceremony.
The organizer is the BBBank eG Karlsruhe in cooperation with the ZKM | Karlsruhe.
The deadline for submissions in the form of a storyboard is November 4, 2022 (see below).
This international competition will be held for the third time in 2022 and is open to artists of all ages. Prizes are awarded to artworks and not their creators.
Entries will be judged on the basis of a storyboard and a 5-second media check clip of a new art production for the SCHLOSSLICHTSPIELE Karlsruhe Light Festival. Submissions must comply with the technical specifications laid down in the SCHLOSSLICHTSPIELE Karlsruhe Production Guidelines. Organizer and partner of the BBBank Projection Mapping Award is the KME Karlsruhe Marketing und Event GmbH.All entries submitted must fulfil at least one of the following criteria:
- Content-related thematization of possible perspectives for the future
- Content-related discussion of the ongoing and all-pervasive process of digitization
- Content-related discussion of current or future forms of social cohesion
The jury is chaired by Peter Weibel, artistic and scientific director of the ZKM | Karlsruhe, and consists of representatives of the BBBank Karlsruhe eG as award organizers, the ZKM and the KME as organizers of the Schlosslichtspiele, the City of Karlsruhe, and the Karlsruhe University of Arts and Design (HfG).
The Grand Prize is 10,000 euros plus artwork production costs of up to 30,000 euros net, with which the winner will realize their concept for the SCHLOSSLICHSTPIELE Karlsruhe 2023.
The ZKM | Karlsruhe curates and technically supervises the production. The premiere of the work will take place exclusively at the SCHLOSSLICHTSPIELE Karlsruhe 2023. The production grant will cover all costs incurred during the production work, such as fees and technology.
The entry that wins second place receives a prize of 5,000 euros and the third placed entry 2,000 euros. The 2nd and 3rd place entries have a chance of being realized, in which case a production cost subsidy would be paid.
The jury, headed by Peter Weibel (artistic and scientific director of the ZKM), decides on the basis of content-related and practical criteria whether the submissions can be awarded and realized.
Conditions of Participation
Please read the following information carefully before you submit your entry; if you have any questions contact firstname.lastname@example.orgYour submission must be complete in German or English by November 4, 2022, midnight CET, and include the following:
- A description of the entry submitted (max. 2000 characters including spaces) as a storyboard and image files (optional)
- 5-second media check (the content does not matter, it only has to comply with the production guidelines)
- A signed Granting of Rights (pdf)
- A short biography of the artist(s) giving details of previous experience (max. 1,000 characters including spaces).
- A portrait photo of the artist(s) (min. 500 x 500 px).
Please note the following points:
- The deadline for submitting your complete entry is November 4, 2022. Entries that are incomplete will not take part in the competition.
- The finalized artwork must be 7 to 9 minutes long.
- The concept you submit must not have already won other awards or been submitted to a similar competition.
- Employees of the organizing institutions, sponsors, and presenters of the award as well as members of the jury are excluded from participation.
- Upon receipt of all necessary material and information entrants will receive an e-mail confirming their participation.
- All submissions will be archived until September 30, 2023; participation implies acceptance of archiving.
- Participants must be reachable at the address they supply.
- The prizewinners (or a representative) commit themselves to attending the Awards Ceremony at a date yet to be specified to receive the award in person.
- When a work wins an award it is possible that the material submitted will be used on various media and means of communication. We thus request the participants to put the sound, image, and text material together with the utmost care.
- Winners of the Grand Prize agree that the work which was produced in the context of the competition will be shown exclusively at the SCHLOSSLICHTSPIELE Karlsruhe in 2023 and in the following years.
- Winners of the second and third prizes grant the ZKM first right to make an offer for joint implementation of the storyboards in the context of the SCHLOSSLICHTSPIELE Karlsruhe.
- Submissions that do not fulfill the above mentioned requirements will not be admitted to the competition and will not be presented to the jury.